28 September, 2008

Monster Waves and Mamone Chinos

Dominical, Costa Rica. Finally, I am back where I belong. Back in a place where I feel normal. Back doing the one thing I do best in the world, simply living and breathing in tropical Latin America. Although California is a beautiful state, I have been sequestered there for over a year now and am going nuts. My life line, my aura, who I am inside, this is all connected to tropics and has nothing to do with where I reside now. To counteract the stress and worry I have experienced in recent months, I decided that today I was required to do nothing more than sit in a hammock and eat fruit. Despite this requirement, the boys and I managed adventure at our favorite rainforest swimming hole, paddle out for two killer sessions of really nice, double overhead waves and chase around local wildlife such as coati, toucans, ctenosaurs and, of course, beautiful ticas. We also did also manage to sit around in hammocks and eat fruit, a whole fruit est of pineapple, avocado, mamones chinos, sapotes and chirimoyas. Only the coatis seemed happier and the waves out front of Playa Dominical served up a mean soup of late afternoon wet erotica before we headed off for a guacamole and Cervaza Imperial laden dinner.

One great highlight of the day was donning a mask for the first time at the waterfall, our local swimming hole in the nearby rainforest. The water was reasonably clear and I was able to distinguish at least four species of fish, each unique and totally cool in its own way. This is exhilarating and resparked a long time interest in neotropical freshwater fishes. Maybe I should go back and get a Ph.D on the topic? Or an underwater documentary film may be more my style? Let´s wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment